Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Recap: Book Event (Greater Rochester Teen Book Fest)



RECAP: Greater Rochester Teen Book Fest



Okay, so this is the last recap so far for my book events of 2016. I have no doubts more will be added, but for now my bank account is quite happy that I am leaving it alone lol

So I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to attend TBF this year. My best friend got sick and my other friend Nancy wasn't sure whether or not she would be working. A week before it, I had lost hope of even going when Nancy came back and told me she would probably be able to go along with me. So I needed to prepare my bag and when I saw my pile of books, I realized that I would have to have my suitcase after all.



So on May 14, we left early in the morning and drove around five hours to get there. It wasn't the most sunny day... Actually it was all cloud and raining a little bit, but we went straight to the gym knowing most of our authors were signing there. While we waited, we met with an online friend of mine, Justin, with whom I've been talking for a while and we were hoping to meet and we finally did. He came along with Jennifer who I knew also but didn't realize it until we had spent a few hours with them waiting in line for Rachel Hawkins hahaha

A lot of activities are offered throughout the day, but we the time we spend driving there, we don't do them; we are there mostly for the signing due to the little time we have to see each other. I'm glad I never have more than 4 or 5 because let's face it, it's such a popular event that I wouldn't get to see all of them lol

So when the signing starts, we are ready to meet Rachel Hawkins. They come and tell us that the limit is 3 books per person, but as I get to the table, my friends Justin and Jennifer already succeeded to get more than 3 books/items signed so I try with my 11 books for her (8 were mine, 3 were for my best friend who couldn't come) and she signed all of them all smiling. And when I told her that I was the one who wrote on her tumblr hoping she would do another event because I didn't think I could go, she was so happy that I got to come after all.

She saw my best friend's book and noticed they were in french and I think (my memory may be playing tricks on me) she wrote something in french in at least one of them.

And of course, you know me, I love taking pictures with authors that I meet. It's not the best picture, but I don't care because I have proof that I met Rachel Hawkins hahaha


After that, I went in line for Sarah Rees Brennan. I will admit that I haven't read anything of hers besides the novellas she wrote with Cassandra Clare for The Banes Chronicles but I took a chance and bought 4 of her books and I can't wait to read them. She was really nice and funny and I hope the next time I meet her, I'll be able to tell her how much I enjoyed her books.


Next, I went to join Jennifer to see Jennifer Donnelly. While we waited, I offered my ARC copy of Suzanne Young's The Epidemic to Jennifer. Since Suzanne was there and I had an extra one, I felt generous. I believe she even got it signed too, but I'm not sure. Once again, I had bought one of her books because another author told me this book helped her but I didn't have time to read it, but when I got to her, I told her why the book was bought and that seemed to make her quite happy. I'm hoping to start it soon and see what this book will do to me.:) Plus, I had my friend's french version of the book so I think she liked to see it too.


Next was Tamora Pierce. I will admit that I didn't know how popular that woman was until I arrived where her signing was. She was still signing when the event ended and to accelerate things, at some point, we could only get one book signed per person. In those times, I wish I had two people with me to get my other two books signed but it was still nice to meet her though I didn't ask her any question because I didn't want to take too much time due to the fact that she had to leave soon.

After that, I went to join Nancy who had gone in Laurie Halse Anderson after she left Sarah's line or Justine Larbalestier's line, I'm not too sure. She told me I was lucky because since that line was also very long, they were only allowed one book per person, but Nancy and her got to talk and she ended up sigining both of our books. I wished I could have met her, but time wasn't on my side.

So in the end, I got all of these books signed for me along with four more for my best friend:


So that's it. That was my day. I am just so grateful to Nancy to have come with me and I'm happy that I got to meet Justin and Jennifer. :)

A HUGE THANK YOU to TBF and all the authors who made this an awesome experience. Hopefully, I'll be able to go next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment