Thursday, March 10, 2016

Review: All Chained Up by Sophie Jordan (Devil's Rock, #1)



BWHB
Summary
(from goodreads)

There are bad boys and then there are the men of Devil’s Rock...

Some men come with a built-in warning label. Knox Callaghan is one of them. Danger radiates from every lean, muscled inch of him, and his deep blue eyes seem to see right through to Briar Davis’s most secret fantasies. But there’s one major problem: Briar is a nurse volunteering at the local prison, and Knox is an inmate who should be off-limits in every way.

Knox feels it too—a shocking animal magnetism that drives him to risk his own life to protect Briar’s. Paroled at last, he tries to resist her. She’s too innocent, too sweet, and she has no idea what Knox is capable of. But a single touch can lead to a kiss—and a taste... until the only crime is denying what feels so right...

“When the prison doors are open, the real dragon will fly out.”—Ho Chi Minh



Read from: February 28 to February 29, 2016
Read on: Owned ARC Paperback


Review:



I don't think you know just how excited I was for this book. I was trying to get an ARC to be able to review it but it never seemed to work and Sophie being the amazing person that she is gave me a copy when I met her at Apollycon and I totally devoured this book on my way back from Savannah.

If you know me at all, you know I just love Sophie's writing and she's one of my favourite authors hence the reason I wanted this baby so bad. Plus, for the second time this year, she actually made me want to read again with two of her books so thank you Sophie :)

This review will be general; not because I didn't love it, but since it won't be out before the end of March, I don't want to give too much about the story.

Now, let's finally start this review of this bad boy. When Sophie first introduced us to this story, I was already hooked on the idea of it. I was intrigued how she was going to unravel the story between the two main characters.

Briar is the kind of girl that you notice or you don't. Physically, she seemed like the kind of girl guys would notice, but she seemed so introverted due to a lot about what happened in her past, that it's also easy to just dismiss her. I really enjoyed reading about her and learning more and more about her as I got further and further into the book. I liked that she knew what she wanted even if she sometimes lacked the confidence to go for it, but she changed throughout this book and I really hope we do get some glimpse of her in the future books.

And now Knox (I only kept him after because I know that’s all you want to know about lol)... Oh my... What can I say about the man that I wouldn't mind having for myself? He is really the typical guy you would judge before even getting to know him. I won't say that he's innocent or anything like that, but he is worth getting to know. Things we learn about him throughout the book just made it hard for me to hate him when he was doing something stupid but I had no problems saying that he was in fact stupid for doing those things hahaha Knox had a lot to learn about himself and how to deal with the consequences of his actions. But he also had to accept a lot of things that he couldn’t control and I think that it was probably the one thing he had a lot of trouble adjusting himself to.

And Briar and Knox together... Wow... Their interaction from the start screamed chemistry and a whole lot of sexual tensions. I was ready for them to get down to business since the first moment they saw one another. There was something about the two of them that just clicked. They needed one another without even knowing why they did. But even if I wanted them to do it like bunnies, I’m still happy that’s not how Sophie decided to develop their story. She gave us just enough to keep us entertaining and intrigued and needy. You can only continue to flip each page of this book to see where it will all end.

In this book, a series of events will keep making them run into one another, making it impossible for them to get over the other. Through the good and the bad, they both learned more about one another and sometimes, it set them back, sometimes forward. Their story wasn't an easy one, but in my opinion, it was worth all their efforts.

I still need to talk about the other characters and I will admit that I really want Briar's neighbour to have her story in this series. I don't care if it's a novella or a full book where she also wants some sexy time with some sexy inmate lol She deserves it. I really enjoyed her character so much.

Briar's sister was something else. She's really snob and judgemental. She might have improved by the end of the book, but I still feel some harsh feelings towards her.

North, Knox’s Brother, and Reid, the leader of their gang in prison, aren’t there as much, but Sophie wrote them making me want to read more about their and I’m looking forward to read about them. Knox cares so much about his little brother. He feels responsible for him and I think that this alone dictates a lot of his actions in this book. As for Reid, you can tell that Knox respects him and trusts him as much as he is able to trust other people.

If I was honest, I was really hoping the next book would be about North, but after reading this book, but I’m really happy we get Reid’s story next. He’s quite an interesting character and I feel like we are in for a lot of surprises from him. I'm really hooked on this series and I hope she writes tons of books in it.

I was giving an advance copy of this book by the author in exchange of an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment