Friday, October 23, 2015

Review: Changeless by Gail Carriger (Parasol Protectorate #2)



BWHB
Summary
(from goodreads)

Alexia Maccon, the Lady Woolsey, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears; leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria.

But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. So even when her investigations take her to Scotland, the backwater of ugly waistcoats, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only the soulless can. She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.

CHANGLESS is the second book of the Parasol Protectorate series: a comedy of manners set in Victorian London, full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking.



Read from: October 19 to October 21, 2015
Read on: Owned Paperback


Review:



I will admit that the first book of this series wasn't one of my favourite reads, but I had already bought the books to the whole series, so I decided that one day I would have to continue them and that day has come and...

I'm really happy that I continued because I really liked the second book of that series. Alexia is a character quite peculiar and maybe it is because she has no soul, but I feel like even with a soul, she wouldn't be that much different. She is strong-minded and she doesn't let anyone forget, especially not her husband who seems to adore and hate that about his wife.

Her relationship with Lord Maccon is quite possible the most entertaining. While he can't seem to keep his hands off her, I believe he enjoys arguing with her. I feel that their arguments sparks their love life more than anything else. I truly believe that she loves him even without a soul, but she isn't made to react like any lady in love.

But that's why we enjoy reading about her. She has a way to think through things that most people would probably ignore due to emotions getting in-between us and our rational thoughts. I believe that's why she also finds herself in the most dangerous situations.

In this book, we meet new characters like Madame Lefoux who is really intriguing. I'm not sure whether we ought to fear her or love her hahaha She has secrets that we discover throughout the book, but I feel there's a lot more to be learned if we see her in the next books of the series which I don't doubt we will. I believe her friendship with Alexia will provide some unique situations.

We see old characters in this that I will admit that I had mostly forgotten like Alexia's oldest friend Ivy. She seems to be the typical lady who seems to be outraged by everything not conventional, but I really like her. She adds something to the story and I feel like Alexia, even if she might not be aware of this, is really fond of her and enjoys her company even if her tastes in hats is quite horrible.

So something is affecting the supernatural beings in London and no one knows what is going on so Alexia is investigating. Through it, she learns about ancient stories about something or someone who is more dangerous to supernatural than her, but whether it's true or simply a tale, she doesn't know.

WARNING that this could be a spoiler (or not, I never know with some people), but this book does end with some sort of cliffhanger and you just want to read the next book because you want to know how it will end.

I've started the third book and I'm hooked. So much is happening and I believe that if you have started the first book and didn't enjoy that much, give a chance to the second and see whether or not you will change your mind like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment