Thursday, July 16, 2015

Review: Screwdrivered by Alice Clayton (Cocktail, #3)

Summary:
(from goodreads)

Readers back for a third round of the bestselling Cocktail series will enjoy a madcap romantic comedy about bodice ripping and chest heaving, fiery passion and love everlasting. Plus a dash of paperwork filing and horseshi—wait, what?

By day, Viv Franklin designs software programs. By night, Vivian’s a secret romance-novel junkie who longs for a knight in shining armor, or a cowboy on a wild stallion, or a strapping firefighter to sweep her off her feet. And she gets to wear the bodice—don’t forget the bodice.

When a phone call brings news that she’s inherited a beautiful old home in Mendocino, California from a long-forgotten aunt, she moves her entire life across the country to embark on what she sees as a great, romance-novel-worthy adventure. But romance novels always have a twist, don’t they?

There’s a cowboy, one that ignites her loins. Because Cowboy Hank is totally loin-ignition worthy. But there’s also a librarian, Clark Barrow. And he calls her Vivian. Can tweed jackets and elbow patches compete with chaps and spurs? You bet your sweet cow pie.

In Screwdrivered, Alice Clayton pits Superman against Clark in a hilarious and hot battle that delights a swooning Viv/Vivian. 

Also within this book, an answer to the question of the ages: Why ride a cowboy when you can ride a librarian?


Read from: July 14 to July 16, 2015
Read on: Paperback


Review:




We met Viv in the second book of this series. She is Simon's old friend and already in 'Rusty Nailed' I liked her. She had this explosive personality so when I saw this book was about her, I was really happy and pretty excited to start it.

So what did I think of this book in reality? I really love it. It was funny and Viv is such an interesting character. I knew she had a particular personality when we were first introduce to her, but in this book, you finally get just how much. But it's nice to see that even if from the outside, she looks like someone who doesn't need anyone in her life, when you start this book, you realize just how much she is craving for romance. She wants to fall in love.

Getting an insight of her thoughts was really entertaining as she likes to imagine a lot of things through scenarios of romance novels. Each time she meets a guy, her imagination kicks in. So when we are first introduced to Hank, the cowboy taking care of the horses, her imagination is running wild; she truly believes he could be the one. Through the whole book, she tries to get his attention, but he's tough to crack. But if you ask me, I would have just left that one alone. He had no personality and he was just plain blah. I know many would like the idea of him being seen as a "bad boy", but to me, he just acted like a douchebag.

And you're are introduced to the librarian, Clark, who is totally the opposite of Hank. He's proper and I won't lie, he could be a pain the ass, but he was really sweet from time to time. He's a good guy, plain and simple and totally not what Viv looks for.

But even if he comes out as the good guy, when Viv and him meet, it clashes as they don't see eye to eye about the house situation. She doesn't like to be told what she can or can't do and he is really set on following the rules when it comes to restructuring a house on the historical register of the city.

When Viv and him are arguing over the house, it made me laugh because they are both stubborn. Their relationship between the two of them changes a lot in the book. Sometimes they fight, sometimes, they talk like friends and other time, you can tell they are lusting for one another even if most of the time, you can tell she's trying to ignore that. Through their nightly calls, you get what Viv calls 'Nighttime Clark' who is slightly more loose. Let's say there are a lot of innuendos during those calls.

I'm trying to do this review without any spoilers so I'm stopping here, but I will just add that I enjoyed this book a lot. We had cameos from Caroline, Simon, Mimi and Ryan and it just made me smile because I really love them.

I'm sure you will enjoy reading about Viv and I think we can all see a big of ourselves in her when you read her thoughts, her needs and her dreams, etc.

Oh, I just need to add one point to this review:

I missed Clive's epilogues though. This cat is just hilarious, but I guess it's normal since it would be weird to add that to Viv's story, but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment